Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The result of bribing my child...

Have you ever been desperate when it comes to making your child do something you want them to do?  We are in the midst of potty training and I think this has to be one of the most frustrating times to a parent.  Kate's teacher informed us that according to the Farmer's Almanac... this was the week to potty train your child.  My response.. "I have no idea what that means, but I'll give it a try".  I don't know if you remember my post from February, but Justin and I were so traumatized by trying to potty train Kate.. we never wanted to try again.  A friend of mine who has a child in Kate's class called me today to ask me if their teacher told me about the Farmer's Almanac thing and if I was trying this week.  She was so stressed out because her son really wants nothing to do with the whole thing. 

Well, because I am a mom.  I do care what other people think of me and I don't want Kate to be in diapers forever (they cost a fortune); the potty training has commenced with alot of bribing.  Our bribes started out something like, "you'll get an M&M if you go potty in the potty."  It has turned into something like, "you will sit on the potty and try to go or you will get a spanking.  If you go, you will get the candy of your choice."  I'll be honest, the bribing has worked pretty well.. so why not try it in other areas?

This past weekend we had an appointment scheduled to take pictures for our Christmas cards.  I was thrilled to find a local photographer who would take your photos and put them on a CD (for me to print) at a somewhat reasonable price.

Please note that I have a two year old who does not always cooperate when I want her to.  I was so stressed leading up to the photo shoot.  I just knew she wasn't going to listen and we weren't going to get one good shot.  We got desperate, so we really talked up the photo shoot and told Kate that she could get a Calico Critter (her favorite toys at the moment) if she listened to the photographer.  Well, I'll have to say.. this bribe worked like none other.  Kate had her eye on the prize.. and acted wonderfully and did everything the photographer said.  Oh, she knew she did good too.. the entire way home she said that she was ready to go get her Calico Critter.  I'm not going to lie.. the bribing thing is still up for debate in mind, but in this instance it was worth it.  Here is the result.  (We have more coming, but this is only one Stephanie posted on her website.)



1 comment:

the broomes said...

Hi Nicole:) ...I LOVE this picture of Kate- she is so pretty. I need to get pictures taken of my babes soon. ...And as far as potty training goes- ugh. I agree- it's not a highlight in parenting. Unless Caleb suddenly shows some great interest in the potty, we won't attempt it until late twos. Hope y'all are doing great.