Friday, November 19, 2010

Beauty - Is it something worth attaining?

Every woman wants to be beautiful.  Let me be more specific, every woman wants to be thought of as beautiful or in today's terms, hot.  This topic of beauty has been on mind ever since my Bible Study teacher told us about a documentary she watched on beauty.  They polled 10 of the most beautiful women and 10 of the most powerful women in the world.  They found that almost all of the powerful women would have chosen to have beauty over their position and almost all of the beautiful women would keep their beauty rather than attaining a powerful position.  My reaction was, seriously?

This has captivated my thoughts, so I decided to do some studying.  I help teach a group of high school senior girls.  I seriously think they are some of the most beautiful girls I have ever been around, so this topic of beauty has been somewhat of a theme in my life.  I have been preparing to teach about beauty (this Sunday) and would love some input from you.

Inner beauty is imperative and well worth attaining as Scripture points out.  A verse commonly used to accentuate this point is 1 Samuel 16:7 -"The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."  We see over and over the importance of having inner beauty and a pure heart before the Lord. 

Is outer beauty a bad thing?  Most would say, no. 

So, I will pose another few questions..

Is outer beauty something worth attaining? 

Should we strive for exterior beauty?


No comments: