Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What is the big green egg? Recipe Wednesday - Stuffed Burgers

We had a great time at Becky and Grover's lake house, but we quickly learned that one reason Beth and Brandon invited us was so we could cook for them. My niece, Sara Beth, deemed me a "lovely cooker" the last time she came to visit us. I guess Chocolate Chip Pancakes will win the hearts of kids. They always want me to make them. Don't worry, I won't post the Bisquick pancake recipe with chocolate chips thrown in.. you know I am so much more "gourmet" than that.

When we arrived at the new lake house, we were welcomed by this big monstrosity of a grill located on their porch. I quickly asked, "What is that?". Brandon and Beth were telling us that it is the Big Green Egg, an amazing grill that we will have to use ... aka.. we want you to cook us something on it. It even has its own cookbook, Big Green Egg Cookbook & Manual.


We decided to make this recipe, inspired by our friend Eric, who made these burgers for us. Brandon said that these were the best burgers he has ever tasted... I would have to agree. I really think it was the grill. It gave them an amazing flavor!

Grilled Burgers Stuffed with Cheese, Bacon and Onions

INGREDIENTS
3 pounds ground beef
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
6 hamburger buns, split

DIRECTIONS
-In a large mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef, salt, black pepper, barbecue sauce and garlic powder using your hands. Taking a small handful at a time (approximately 1/4 pound), shape into 12 patties. Lay patties out on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap; place patties in the refrigerator.
-Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Turn the heat down to medium and pan fry the onions in the remaining bacon drippings until soft and translucent and just beginning to brown. Mix together onions and bacon in a small bowl.
-Prepare a grill or large skillet for medium heat.
-As the grill heats, pull beef patties out of the refrigerator; top 6 of the patties with 1- 1/2 tablespoons of the bacon and onion mixture each, and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top each with one of the remaining patties and press the edges together to seal.
-Grill or pan fry the stuffed and sealed patties until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve on hamburger buns with condiments of your choice.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Oh memories... my parents had a big green egg when I was a kid!

Mrs. H said...

Mmmm... these burgers are on my hubby's "your turn to cook" list next week! :)

Big Green Egg said...

I love my Big Green Egg and this recipe looks mighty tasty! I am defintely stealing this for the weekend.