Friday, January 16, 2009

What is discipline?

It is only two weeks into the new year and I greatly struggled today with my new year resolution- staying on my schedule (routine, housework, etc) and living a more disciplined life. I just felt like doing nothing. Do you have days like that?

Inspired my friend Lea (who is always using new words from the dictionary - of course hers are much more intellectual and ones I have never heard of). I looked up the actual definition of discipline (hoping it would get me motivated).... It worked.

"Discipline: activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training"; "to bring to a state of order and obedience by training and control".

I love this definition, I didn't realize I would glean so much..
"state of order" - something all our homes and lives need to be in.
"Obedience by training and control" - how we must live out our spiritual lives.
"Activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill:training" - this is what we have to do to keep our homes and lives in a "state of order" and to live "obedient" to God and his Word.
1 Cor 9:24-27
24 Do you not know that the runners in a stadium all race, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Now everyone who competes exercises self-control in everything. However, they do it to receive a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. 26 Therefore I do not run like one who runs aimlessly, or box like one who beats the air. 27 Instead, I discipline my body and bring it under strict control, so that after preaching to others, I myself will not be disqualified. {This is where I want to be}

No comments: