Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Have Plan. How Do I Stick To It?



“If you’re going to risk and maybe fail, fail at something that matters. 
Fail gloriously so that even in failure, lives change.” - Jon Acuff


Making a plan or goal is easy.

Sticking to the plan is HARD!

My schedule post seemed to resonate with women. I received several emails and comments regarding schedules. The overall theme of the messages confirm what is stated above (and below).

Following through on my schedule is HARD!

The problem: We want to be PERFECT and we FAIL.

When we don't stick to the schedule and our house looks like this for three days (Yes, this is what my couch looks like right now; hence, the motivation to make a schedule):



Perfection is lost and we give up. 

We all have patterns of this in our lives. This pattern can apply to diets, housework, relationships, etc.

Here is the key (something I am learning): You will fail. Pick yourself up and start again. If you get off your schedule, diet, ________. DON'T GIVE UP. Put the failure behind you and start over. 

Life is beyond INSANE. Everyday is different. Give yourself a realistic and flexible schedule. When you find yourself getting off your plan, there is probably a purpose in it. Find what God is teaching you, LEARN FROM IT and start again.

We need to be reminded of God's Plan:

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

I think the apostle Paul so clearly encourages us by explaining he has not gained perfection, but is straining to live a God honoring life.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it." Phil. 3:12-13

Our ultimate goal:

"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Phil. 3:13-14

I am the queen of inconsistency. I have been struggling with it my whole life. I am learning not to focus on the poor character trait (inconsistency) I possess, but changing that trait in my life. 

Change is not easy. Change takes discipline. Change is a daily, hourly, minute by minute putting aside our natural tendencies in order to live a life that honors the Lord. We want to give him the glory for our change.

Do you have any tips for sticking to a schedule?

What "change" in your life are you working on?

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear. 




No comments: