Friday, February 4, 2011

"Storms" of Life Can Set Us Apart


Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

Have you ever planned something in your life and it did not go at all like you had PLANNED?

This is a theme in my life. As I consider what my "plans" were 5 years ago, 10 years ago, etc.. my life looks nothing like I expected or planned.

My poor husband has been planning a Disciple Now Weekend. The weekend's theme is "Set Apart".





D-NOW Set Apart Weekend
Several things have put a kink in his plans like the "STORM" of the century. Our speaker, Curtis Jones lives in TX. His flight was cancelled (and they didn't even get a drop of snow). He is booked on a new flight and we are PRAYING he makes it.

I love that I can rest in the truth that God is IN CONTROL. 

I love how ironic (not really ironic... because God is at work) the theme of "Set Apart" and "Storms" go together.

After all, it is the STORMS of life that SET US APART.

I have been so impressed with my husband and how he has handled this stress. It says a lot about who he is and in whom he places his trust.

We have two sets of friends who just had newborns. Both of those precious babies are having complications. The strength and peace these parents are displaying in midst of their uncertainty is amazing. (Please pray for babies Jackson and Micah). 

I think of the parents of Kate McRae. Kate is a beautiful 6 year old little girl who is BATTLING brain cancer. This storm has set them apart. (Please pray for the healing of this precious child.)

In the midst of all this on my mind are two verses and I think they go together beautifully. 


Set yourself apart:  "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you." Joshua 3:5


As you set yourself apart:  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7




How do you handle the "storms" of life?


What do you do to set yourself apart?


Do you have a Bible verse you cling to?


Please leave a comment below, I'd love to hear.




**UPDATE: Curtis' flight was delayed and he would not make his connection. The D-Now weekend was canceled due to inclement weather. 


TRUTH we are clinging to: We know that God is in control!







No comments: