Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Husband was Impressed When...

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

Lately, I have been in a state of examination. I am currently examining every aspect of my life with the goal of making myself a better person. I realize, that it sounds deep but trust me, I am NOT DEEP. I just want to be the best Christ follower, wife, mother, friend, etc. that I can be.

Our pastor is currently preaching through the book of James and naturally James 1:22 hit home. "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (James 1:22)" Hence, the reason I am examining my life. It is easy to "listen" to the Bible.  It is HARD to live out the Bible. I want to be one who lives out what the Bible says.

I am currently reading Love and Respect. (I am not finished, but I plan on posting a review soon.) I highly recommend it though. I seriously think the author has been in our home during some of our disagreements. (Makes me laugh).  

In light of reading Love and Respect and examining my life, I asked my husband what I could do to be a better wife. I know a million things I could do better, but I wanted to know from his perspective.  

His response, "I was really impressed when you had that daily list and schedule." What he was referring to was a routine I had myself on in the past. It was a daily cleaning, organizing and cooking guide for me to follow so I could keep up with my housework. I was very surprised at his response because my husband is the most laid back person (and generally not clean). 

His answer has been on the forefront of my mind. 

From his response, I realize how important schedules and routines are at every age. I don't think it is the cleanliness that he cares about as much as knowing that everything is okay and taken care of at home.  

"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave". ~ Martin Luther

Having a routine is easily something I can do to help my husband. I am working on my schedule and I'll post it in hopes that it might help those other overwhelmed mamas out there.  

I recommend you "kindly" ask your husband what you can do to be a better wife. (Don't get defensive about his response.. do what he says). 

Did you ask him?  What what his response? 



No comments: