Monday, January 10, 2011

Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe + Snow = Perfect Combination

Our neighborhood and city is covered in snow.  While I would never drive in snow (I'm from Florida and a terrible driver - bad combination in snow), the beauty of it blows my mind.
I love how David uses snow to give us a vivid picture of what Jesus has done for us as he offers up this prayer of confession and restoration in Psalm 51.

Psalm 51:7-12
7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
   wash me, and I will be whiter than
snow
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
   let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 

9 Hide your face from my sins
   and blot out all my iniquity.

 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
   and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 

11 Do not cast me from your presence
   or take your Holy Spirit from me. 

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
   and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.


Homemade Hot Chocolate is the perfect drink on a cold day.  Since most of the country (except my friends and family in Florida) is experiencing snow, I thought I would post an easy Hot Chocolate recipe.  I adapted this from a recipe I found on All Recipes.  I usually have all the ingredients on hand.
Rich and Creamy Hot Chocolate (4 servings)
Ingredients
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch of salt
1/3 cup boiling water
2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups half-and-half cream (if you don't have this on hand, just use milk)
Whipped Cream Topping
Mini Marshmallows
Directions
Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan.  Blend in the boiling water.  Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir.  Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes.  Watch that it doesn't scorch.  Stir in 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of half and half and heat until very hot, but do not boil!  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Divide between 4 mugs.  Top with marshmallows and whipped cream.  
Here are some pictures from today for your enjoyment because snow and hot chocolate make the perfect combination.




Yes, this is what Kate has on.. if it makes you feel better about my parenting skills, I have the heat on 76 degrees, so it is warm in our house.


No comments: