Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Need a No Fail Dessert? - Recipe Wednesday - Fruit Pizza

If I was actually on the ball... this would have been the perfect recipe to post last week... so you would have had it in time for your Memorial Day cookout. I am obviously a slacker and do not plan ahead in my recipe post.. sorry. You should get the gist by now, I usually post something I have made that week. I'll try to think ahead for the holidays in the future.

We were invited to a cookout Monday and I wanted to bring a dessert. I wanted to make something with fruit and I laid out three of my favorite "fruit" dessert recipes for Justin to choose which one he wanted me to make. He chose my Fruit Pizza recipe. (I made the dessert, but missed the party. Justin said that the pizza was big hit.) With store bought cookie dough, your favorite fruit and a no fail "sauce" this is such an easy and yummy dessert. It is always a big hit!

It is also very festive.. if I remember I will link to it again for Fourth of July. When you make it with strawberries and blueberries - this will be the perfect dessert for your festivities. I am planning on making it for Justin's family when we are in Missouri on the fourth.

Fruit Pizza

INGREDIENTS

1 (18 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (7 ounce) jar Jet-Puffed marshmallow creme

2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup blueberries

1/2 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon orange zest


DIRECTIONS

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
-Slice cookie dough and arrange on greased pizza pan (or square jelly pan), overlapping edges. (cookies will expand during cooking)Press dough flat into pan.
-Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. (do not overcook) Allow to cool.
-In a large bowl, soften cream cheese, then beat in marshmallow creme.
-Spread over cooled crust. You can chill for a while at this point, or continue by arranging the fruit.
-Begin with strawberries, sliced in half. Arrange in a circle around the outside edge. Continue with fruit of your choice, working towards the middle. If bananas are used, dip them in lemon juice so they don't darken. Then make a sauce to spoon over fruit.
-In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, corn starch, orange juice, lemon juice and water.
-Cook and stir over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until thickened.
-Remove from heat, and add grated orange rind. Allow to cool, but not set up. Spoon over fruit.
-Chill for two hours, then cut into wedges and serve.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

That is one of my sister's fav desserts to make. She has used mango before and it is so yummy with the kiwi.