Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Need Another "Gourmet" Recipe? (if so don't read) - Chicken Parmesan w/ Tomato Cream Sauce -Recipe Wednesday

I completely impressed my husband Monday night with my cooking abilities. It was about 4:00 and I knew Justin would be home soon. I set out some chicken tenders to cook, but I had no idea how I was going to cook them. I decided to look in the pantry to see what I had. I noticed a box of "Shake and Bake". {I grew up with a single dad and this was a staple in our house, as it should be in every house. Shake the chicken in the bag, place in oven and cook for 20 min... it is brilliant.}

I was reading the box and it gave a Chicken Parmesan recipe. I thought... I could make that. I thought I had all the ingredients, but I realized that I didn't have have any canned spaghetti sauce. My husband loves sauce, so Chicken Parmesan wouldn't be well received with no sauce.

What did I do? I did what I always do.. I went to All Recipes. I am addicted to that site! I was going to search for a spaghetti sauce recipe, but then I realized... I don't really like spaghetti sauce. I thought.. Why don't I look for a tomato-cream sauce. I like tomato-cream sauce and I think Justin would also...
The results.. a dinner Justin deemed.. one of my BEST DINNERS EVER.

Sorry for this long story, but this is how this random, easy, NON-GOURMET but incredibly delicious recipe came about.
Lea would not be impressed especially after the dinner she cooked Meghan (the menu was something like chicken with tropical salsa, tropical salad with pineapple vinaigrette and pots de creme.. seriously Martha, oh sorry, I mean Lea).
Trust me though, this fast, easy and somewhat ghetto recipe is delicious! It will take you less than 30 minutes to make and would be great for entertaining!
"Shake and Bake" Chicken Parmesan with Tomato Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

1 Bag Shake and Bake with Seasoning
8 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts or 12 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Tenders
1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

______

Ingredients for Tomato Cream Sauce (**Note if you like a lot of sauce, double recipe, this is a thick sauce and will not leave any reserve. I linked to the original recipe. The one below is with my changes.)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can Fire Roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (leave out if you don't like spicy food)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS:

-Prepare Chicken according to Shake and Bake Directions, adding 1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese to Seasoning.

- Bake Chicken according to Shake and Bake Directions

-Prepare Tomato Cream Sauce...

-In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Make sure it doesn't burn. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and continue to boil 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in whipping cream and butter. Reduce heat and simmer 5 more minutes.

- When chicken is finished baking, remove from oven. Pour a tablespoon of Tomato Cream Sauce over each piece of chicken. Top each piece of chicken with grated Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella. Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve over pasta.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

My mom told me that she loves your recipes... I'm still not sure how I feel about her reading my friend's blog... but the internet is public... not much I can do about that!