Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pumpkin Patch & Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe

We went and picked out a pumpkin the other day with our two little pumpkins.  We had a cool spell, but it is hot again and doesn't feel like fall.  We are ready for the cooler weather.  We are somewhat settled now in Jonesboro, and I have been homesick.  I am hoping Justin will let me and the kids go to Florida sometime soon.  We have a trip planned in April, but I don't think I can wait that long.

For a little update.. we are still waiting for our house to sell in NC.  Please PRAY it sells soon!!  Justin is loving Central (the church he is at). 

Kate is as entertaining as ever and we are starting to see John's little personality (happy and laid back).  I can't believe he is 7 months old already.









In honor of the pumpkin patch and the pumpkin shortage of 2009 - I am posting Meghan's pumpkin cupcake recipe.  I have been wanting to make them all year.  I also bought about 30 cans of pumpkin the other day at Walmart.. and my husband thinks I am CRAZY.. and I was trying to explain to him that there was a shortage last year and I don't want to be short of any pumpkin this year.. and he still thinks I am CRAZY!!  Anyway, here is the recipe (and you better stock up on pumpkin).

Pumpkin Cupcakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package instant butterscotch pudding mix
2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 T. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground allspice or nutmeg or cloves*
1 cup butter, room temp.
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 t. vanilla extract
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin purée

*I am not a very scientific baker... I just dump in whatever fall spices I have on hand. Go ahead. Judge me. I dare you.

For cream cheese frosting (I add a little cinnamon - 2 teaspoons and make cinnamon cream cheese frosting)

4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Grease 24 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners. Whisk together the flour, pudding mix, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger and company (see note regarding spices) in a bowl; set aside.

Beat the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add the room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in the vanilla extract and pumpkin purée with the last egg. Stir in the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups.

Bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops and spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.

For icing, combine all ingredients and spread frosting on top of the cupcakes. Makes 24 cupcakes. (Makes more icing that needed. Darn, I just had to eat it by the spoonful.)

No comments: