Thursday, September 3, 2009

Why does life get so hectic?

For the past few weeks, our life has been crazy. My husband and I have had something going on every night for the past two weeks. Last Monday we took our first trip to the emergency room with Kate. She fell at church and we didn't see her fall. She started throwing up a couple hours later and the doctor was concerned that she hit her head. He wanted us to take her in to get a catscan. We spent four hours in the ER and they didn't want to give her a catscan and sent us home. Thank goodness it just ended up being a stomach virus that was going around. She is fine, but that was only the beginning to our crazy couple of weeks.

Our church hosted a Beth Moore simulcast and I was on the team. We had a "dream team" of women working together. I have never been apart of a group who worked together so well. We did run into a few bumps in the road, but the Lord was so faithful and everything turned out wonderfully! Here is that awesome team of women.


Beth talked from Psalm 37 - "Coming Home to Heart of Your Desires". (I feel a little weird calling her Beth.. I am talking as if I know her personally, which I don't.. but I didn't want to say Beth Moore or Mrs. Moore, so I settled for "Beth".) Anyway, I had heard that passage preached several times, but she did bring a freshness to it for me. For those of you who missed it... the message will be available on her website in the next few weeks at Living Proof.

After a hectic week last week and knowing that life wasn't slowing down with Justin's schedule, I decided to re-focus and read through Romans and read the book, Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper. I wanted to share an excerpt that he wrote.. I love how God works. This totally goes along with what Beth was talking about this weekend (the desires of our hearts) He wrote a poem to his wife on their 25th wedding anniversary on what it is to be a Christian Hedonist. The poem is really long, so I won't post it all (click here to read it in its entirety), but I loved this excerpt...

Call this whatever name you may, It is the truth.
Shall God display His great all-satisfying grace Italic
In joyless souls? And shall he trace
The outlines of his majesty
In hearts that neither taste nor see
Enough in him to comprehend
That here their quest is at an end?
No, God has made another way
To put his glory on display.

His goodness shines with brightest rays
When we delight in all his ways.
His glory overflows its rim
When we are satisfied in him.
His radiance will fill the earth
When people revel in his worth.
The beauty of God's holy fire
Burns brightest in the heart's desire.

Don't you just love that? Oh, how I want to "Delight my ways in the Lord".. and "He will give me the desires of my heart." (Psalm 37:4) I have a long way to go.. I want my desires to match up with God's desires.

I have no idea why life gets so hectic at times, but remember to stop and think about your purpose on this earth and why God put you here.. one more time...

His goodness shines with brightest rays
When we delight in all his ways.
His glory overflows its rim
When we are satisfied in him.
His radiance will fill the earth
When people revel in his worth.
The beauty of God's holy fire
Burns brightest in the heart's desire.

1 comment:

Hocutt Baptist Church said...

Well it is time to rest a little...but that is not possible with a little one and your husband's busy schedule. I appreciate all you do for the family of God.
The Simulcast Commissioning that Beth has us do is on her LPM Blog if anyone needs to go over it again.....love, Betsy