Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Do you fight for your right to PARTY? - Party Food - Recipe Wednesday

Today is Recipe Wednesday, and the title is a throw back to one of my FAVORITE CDs of all time..Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (Fight For Your Right to Party is on that CD).. It is old.. a favorite from high school (and very secular). I thought about posting links to my favorite songs from that CD, but when I think about the lyrics...I am kind of embarrassed that this is one of my favorite CDs.
They called Justin's friend from college "Mike D" (his name is Mike) and Justin didn't know why they called him that until he starting dating me (because Mike D is one of the Beastie Boys). He didn't even know who the Beastie Boys were... so sad. He wasn't into 90's rap.. he was more into Christian music like Larnell Harris... yes, that how he rolls...
Anyway, I help lead a drama group for our youth group at church and I even managed to fit the Beastie Boys' song "Girls" into a skit... oh yes I did.
If you don't know who they are.. and you are lost.. I am sorry for the rant...

Here is the recipe. We have some High Schoolers come over every Tuesday to watch American Idol and I made these last week. Justin said they were the best he ever had.. and I had to agree.

Who doesn't love potatoes, cheese, sour cream chives and bacon?

Baked Potato Skins (from allrecipes.com - with some changes by me)

INGREDIENTS
4 large baking potatoes, baked
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika (we didn't have this so I left it out)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
4 green onions, sliced


DIRECTIONS

Bake potatoes for about an hour in the oven at 350 degrees.

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp for another use - like mashed potatoes).

Place potatoes skins on a greased baking sheet. Combine oil, Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper; brush over both sides of skins.

Bake at 475 degrees F for 7 minutes; turn. Bake until crisp, about 7 minutes more.

I started baking them with skin sides up (for 10 minutes) and then turned them over and backed them for another 15 - 20 minutes. We like them crispy and the oil mixture made them oily.. we baked them longer than the recipe suggested and they were so crispy and amazingly delicious.

Sprinkle bacon and cheddar cheese inside skins. Bake 2 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Top with sour cream and onions. Serve immediately.

This is perfect party food.. from things we keep in our pantry.

BTW (short for By the Way)... I am officially half way through the challenge from my husband. I can't wait to get my blog makeover!! Only 15 days to go!

2 comments:

sheltonfamily said...

So fun! I think you will love a new blog makeover... the recipe looks yummy.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

yum! That recipe sounds good! :)
I love all the referrals to the Beastie Boys - haha!